Well. It’s Monday y’all. Feeling like there are more Monday’s in the week than any other day. How is that possible?! To comfort any Monday blues, I figured I’d whip up a comfort food of some sort. We like to eat pretty healthy around here so any time I can adapt a recipe, I do. My boyfriend always makes fun of me and says I name EVERYTHING “healthy ______”. He’s probably right, but what’s it to ya! You’ll see this in the upcoming posts. Just go with it. So, here is my Healthy Cauliflower Mash Sheppard’s Pie recipe — I know you will LOVE it!
**WARNING: if you ever see a food / recipe post from me – know it will NOT have onions included in the ingredients. I despise onions in any form and therefor do not include them in my recipes. If you love them, add them in and more power to ya!
First things first. Let’s get to cutting. Cut each of the cauliflower heads (sheesh, this seems like an intense post) into small pieces like below.
Now, on to the meat of the meal. Literally. Add the beef to your pan and cook until brown. Add tomato paste, wine, beef broth, and Worchestershire sauce to the browned meat. Cover and cook for 20 minutes. While the beef is a-cooking, boil the cauliflower pieces until VERY soft… usually about 20 minutes or so.
Once the 20 minutes are up, uncover the meat mixture and add garlic, cornstarch, and seasonings to taste. Stir continuously. The cornstarch will help the sauce thicken. Add more cornstarch if needed until desired consistency. Then, add the meat mixture to your oven safe baking dish. This will be the bottom layer.
Next, thaw and sauté the vegetables lightly.
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Add the vegetables on top of the meat layer.
Drain soft cauliflower pieces and add to food processor. Add a spoonful of garlic and puree until smooth. Think mashed potatoes consistency here… but not as many cals! Add salt and pepper to taste.
Spoon the cauliflower mash on top of the vegetable layer. Add small pieces of butter to the top (this will help with browning) and cheese.
Bake for 20-25 minutes. Then, broil for the last 5 mins or so (keep an eye on it!) until perfectly browned. As you can see – I made two here! Bringing one dish to work to share with the D2D team. Man am I the best or what? I bet they will keep me around! Sharing is caring.
And this, my friends, is perfectly browned!
Grab a big serving spoon and start-a-serving!
My boyfriend and the D2D team all LOVED the Healthy Cauliflower Mash Sheppard’s Pie! Not even sure if they could tell if it was on the healthier-side!
Healthy Cauliflower Mash Sheppard’s Pie
Prep time: 15 mins // Cook time: 1 hour // Total time: 1 hour 15 mins
- 1 1/2 lb beef (I used ground sirloin)
- 1 Package of mixed frozen veggies (peas, carrots, green beans, corn)
- 2 Cauliflower heads, steamed and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup beef stock
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese – (optional)
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- Garlic (minced)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Brown beef over a medium heat.
- Add the tomato paste, spoonful of minted garlic, wine and Worcestershire sauce to the beef. Add the beef stock and bring to a simmer, then cover pan and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 350F.
- After 20 minutes uncover the pan and add cornstarch (add more if needed to create a thicker consistency) and continue to cook for 20 more minutes.
- While the meat is cooking, boil the cauliflower pieces until very soft. Drain.
- Add cauliflower pieces to your food processor with butter, spoonful of minced garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Puree until smooth (mashed potatoes consistency).
- Put the cooked meat mixture into an ovenproof dish. Add the vegetables on top of the meat layer and cover with the cauliflower mashed potatoes and spread out with a fork, add shredded cheese on top with small pieces of butter (for browning).
- Bake for 20-25 mins until the top is starting to brown.
- Broil for the last 5 minutes until golden brown.
*Recipe adapted from Noshtastic